Organizational Rhapsody brings together members of an organization to collaborate on the writing, performing and recording of an original song, from scratch, start to finish. This musical creation will represent their organization — either as it exists today, or as the participants would like to see it in the future.
Rhapsody: a musical composition of irregular form having an improvisatory character
- Choose the genre of music they would like to create — from jazz to rock to country to hip hop — or any combination thereof.
- Critically listen and decide the musical tone for the song: major vs. minor, lyrical content, etc.
- Learn musical terms and concepts and how they apply to organizational effectiveness
- Create song structure (verse/chorus/bridge etc.)
- Make group decisions on instrumentation and overall sound
- Compose lyrics individually and collectively
- Learn how to work together as a group with each member contributing
- Discern and make critical choices regarding song and production
- Practice leadership skills as they direct musicians and sound engineers
- Discovering each individual’s unique talents
- Utilizing individual strengths towards a collective goal
- Developing a process of working through creative differences
- Relating of musical concepts and metaphors to strengthen understanding of organizational dynamics
- Tangible outcome of creative collaboration
- Rapid prototyping and decision making on a tight deadline
- Pride in ownership and sharing of finished song
- Demonstration of “same but different” concepts
- Creation of shareable content with the leadership team and rest of organization
- Innovative approach to team and culture building
Frequently Asked Questions
Why make a song?
The Organizational Rhapsody experience tangibly demonstrates how seemingly disparate ideas and directions can quickly come together to form a beautiful whole. Additionally, the power of play has been scientifically proven to unlock creativity and positively aid in problem solving.
Do participants need a musical background?
Not at all! In fact, Organizational Rhapsody works best when it blends participants that have no musical background with those that do. The program illustrates how creativity and idea generation is possible for everyone! And don’t worry — if there is no one in the group with a musical background, that’s just fine! Organizational Rhapsody is facilitated by professional musicians and engineers who are skilled in translating rough ideas into music. Your group will be the star of the show, no matter your experience level.
Are we making a real song?
Yep! A real song, with real instruments like guitar, bass, keyboards, synths, drums and percussion. Lyrics are written and vocals arranged and performed by your group.
Do we need to go to a recording studio?
That is entirely up to you. Many organizations value time off-site and enjoy the experience of being in a recording studio. However, if desired, we can facilitate the entire Organizational Rhapsody experience on-site via our mobile studio.
How can we do this in a matter of hours?
It is certainly a challenge, but that’s part of the fun! It’s a fast-paced, intense experience, but the smile on everyone’s face during playback of the final mix is priceless.
Who should participate?
Organizational Rhapsody benefits from a wide range of voices — both literally and figuratively. Ideally, participants would represent multiple departments in the organization, including the C-suite.
We are not a creative organization, why would we do this program?
Everyone is creative in some capacity, and one of the outcomes of this program is the freeing of that creativity. Organizational Rhapsody requires the participation of all individuals and leverages each persons unique strengths to solve specific challenges.